I was thinking about this the other day. What if we just scrapped the Constitution and wrote a totally new one? What’s so great about our Constitution? We keep amending it and adding things and then cancelling them, and then fighting about the wording of a document written more than 200 years ago. Our America is not the same country it was in 1776. I know the Constitution is totally ~*sacred*~ to America, but honestly, I don’t feel that sentimental about it. America would benefit from a Constitution that applies to our lives today.
In fact, here’s my proposed Constitutional outline:
**ADDED 6/5 IN HONOR OF TEAM ISLAND**
1) Freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Freedom of religion and from religion. Still important today.
2) No profiling or bias against a person, regardless of their race, gender, disability status, sex worker status or sexuality. This applies to jobs, housing, and any legislation passed.
3) Healthcare is a human right, and it is the duty of the government to create an environment in which no person has to go without it for want of money. Healthcare includes coverage for abortion and birth control, mental health, and trans* healthcare.
4) Abortions: legal under any and all circumstances. For anyone, for any reason. Insurance policies must cover abortion.
5) Something about campaign finance reform because this shit is bananas. In fact, no money in politics at all.
6) Weed is legal, just like cigarettes and alcohol.
7) Police have to follow the same fucking laws as everyone else.
8) Every person aged 18 or older has the right to vote, including ex-felons and people who can’t afford a government-issued ID. States with ID laws must provide free government-issued IDs.
9) Something about tax reform.
10) More money for public schools.
What are your suggestions for a new Constitution? Or does the idea of getting rid of it make you froth at the mouth?(via stfuconservatives)